Extra, Extra: Hooray for Hollywood!
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- One of the gunmen involved in yesterday's Glassell Park shootout has been identified as a member of the Avenues gang. Daniel Ivan Leon was killed by police following his participation in a fatal drive-by shooting that claimed one life.
- Ok, so there wasn't anyone jumping onto the 110 Freeway today, but there was a police pursuit on the 110 that ended near the 91 when the LAPD pulled the PITT manuever and caught their suspect. Incidentally, the vehicle being pursued: A Station Wagon. Go, Speed Racer!
- A hang-up call to 911 led police to a home in Stanton that was serving as a pot farm. Maybe they meant to dial out for pizza to soothe those late night munchies.
- It's the new slambook: A teenager from Hesperia is being held for psychiatric observation after being found with a "hit list" of fellow Sultana High School students and staff along with weapons in his home.
- Wanna buy a decades-old entertainment industry insider rag? Variety is up for sale by its parent company, Reed Elsevier.
- The new 657 area code goes into effect tomorrow in the OC. Folks who have kept their 714 code will, however, have to dial 1-714 to reach someone in their own area code. So many numbers, so little time!
- Will it be Ellen Page as Juno or Cate Blanchett as Queen Elizabeth? Clooney or Depp? Don't forget to have your say in Part One of our Oscars poll, covering the acting categories. We'll look at the other categories tomorrow, and compare what LAist readers want with the actual winners Sunday night.