This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Hooray for Hollywood!
Photo © Copyright 2008 by Jonathan Alcorn (Sundogg) via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- One of the gunmen involved in yesterday's Glassell Park shootout has been identified as a member of the Avenues gang. Daniel Ivan Leon was killed by police following his participation in a fatal drive-by shooting that claimed one life.
- Ok, so there wasn't anyone jumping onto the 110 Freeway today, but there was a police pursuit on the 110 that ended near the 91 when the LAPD pulled the PITT manuever and caught their suspect. Incidentally, the vehicle being pursued: A Station Wagon. Go, Speed Racer!
- A hang-up call to 911 led police to a home in Stanton that was serving as a pot farm. Maybe they meant to dial out for pizza to soothe those late night munchies.
- It's the new slambook: A teenager from Hesperia is being held for psychiatric observation after being found with a "hit list" of fellow Sultana High School students and staff along with weapons in his home.
- Wanna buy a decades-old entertainment industry insider rag? Variety is up for sale by its parent company, Reed Elsevier.
- The new 657 area code goes into effect tomorrow in the OC. Folks who have kept their 714 code will, however, have to dial 1-714 to reach someone in their own area code. So many numbers, so little time!
- Will it be Ellen Page as Juno or Cate Blanchett as Queen Elizabeth? Clooney or Depp? Don't forget to have your say in Part One of our Oscars poll, covering the acting categories. We'll look at the other categories tomorrow, and compare what LAist readers want with the actual winners Sunday night.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.