Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

$100 Bill Sends Two from Bank to Hospital*

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

5b2c5aca4488b3000928077d-original.jpg

Photo by DRB62 via Flickr

Two female bank employees, ages 41 and 39, were transported to Northridge Hospital in stable condition after they were exposed to a $100 bill at San Fernando Valley Washington Mutual this afternoon. The incident, which took place at 10370 Mason Ave. in Chatsworth, happened around 1:00 p.m. The Los Angeles Fire Department's Hazardous Materials Squad were deployed after one teller complained that her hand was burning after touching the bill.

The two transported women are a bank manager and a supervisor. Both had touched the bill, possibly in the process of isolating it in a cash drawer before isolating the drawer itself. Officer Lee, a spokesman for the LAPD, said that the preliminary investigation revealed that the substance on the money is possibly residue from narcotics and it may have not been just one bill in particular, but many since the women were in the process of counting the money.

Support for LAist comes from

View Larger Map

*Updated Post