Support for LAist comes from
Made of L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Videos: Chase Suspect Says He Is Looking For A Job, Needs Professional Help

Support your source for local news!
The local news you read here every day is crafted for you, but right now, we need your help to keep it going. In these uncertain times, your support is even more important. Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership. Thank you.

Car chases are a dime a dozen in the Southland. But they don't often end as dramatically as this.

It started at approximately 8 a.m. on Monday morning. Riverside County sheriff's deputies had attempted to pull over the suspect because they believed he was driving a stolen car, reports the L.A. Times. The car was later confirmed to be stolen, and the suspect led authorities on a chase that cut through the San Gabriel Valley and would ultimately pass through the 60, 10, 605, and 215 freeways. The California Highway Patrol was called in and took over the pursuit near the Morongo Trail by the westbound 10 freeway, CHP Public Information Coordinator Brian Diaz told LAist.

The pursuit was followed by news helicopters. At one point, video shows that the driver had apparently thrown something out the window, reports KTLA. The driver was the sole occupant of the vehicle.

At about 9:53 a.m., the driver stopped the vehicle by Palm Avenue on the southbound 215 freeway and exited the vehicle. He wielded an object in his hand that, according to Diaz, was a "two-and-a-half foot piece of sharp metal." Ignoring police commands, the man walked through several lanes of traffic until he came to an overpass. He then positioned himself on the ledge, as if preparing to drop down from the overpass. While he was distracted, however, an officer came from behind and tackled him to the ground:

Support for LAist comes from

Diaz said that the suspect is getting treatment at a medical center and has been cleared for booking. His injuries are not life-threatening. As the suspect was being fastened to a stretcher the man told officers that he had trouble finding a job:

As he was being put in the ambulance, he said that the "system doesn't work" and that he needed professional help for mental health-related issues:

Most Read