My Thanksgiving Thanks
A friend said to me yesterday: “Thanksgiving feels like the only holiday left that hasn’t been totally exploited.” And I couldn’t agree more. It seemed like that the day after Halloween this year, most big box retailers declared it Christmas season, totally skipping over turkey day mostly because they couldn’t find many marketing tie-ins with green bean casserole. (Think about it…hasn’t your local Starbucks been decorated in holiday red and green for awhile now?)
So to celebrate this not-too-exploited holiday, I’d like to share for what I’m most thankful today, in no particular order.
1. I’m thankful that my hubby’s family decided to not go to the Marie Callender’s in Valencia for Thanksgiving dinner as originally planned. The place had a little food-borne illness problem two weeks ago and I’d rather not spend the rest of my weekend recovering.
2. I’m thankful for good friends (and you know who you are) who didn’t blink when I invited myself over for leftovers sometime this weekend – especially for pumpkin pie cake.
3. I’m thankful for Project Runway’s Elisa who still made me laugh this morning, remembering her “spit marks” from last night’s episode.
4. I’m thankful for not having to enter the political quagmire called “work” for four blissful days.
5. I’m thankful for good wine and good friends and family. I’m drunk in an abundance of both.
6. I'm thankful that I'm relatively healthy and that my next cholesterol check isn't due for a few more months.
7. I am thankful for Metrolink so I don't have to drive from Valencia to Downtown every day.
8. I'm thankful for parents and in-laws that love me enough not to ask, "So when are you having kids?" every time they see me. (And big props to my kid sister who took the pressure off by squeezing out the first grandkid.)
9. I'm thankful for a husband who loves me despite the fact that I have a laptop surgically attached to my lap.
10. I'm thankful that I live in LA with all its crazy traffic, emotionally challenged people, smog, and drunk and drugged out celebs. And the fact that I get to write about all of it on LAist.
Photo by eschipul via Flickr.