Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Murder Suspect Accidentally Released From Jail Recaptured

LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

Just over a week after a paperwork error led to his accidental release from jail, a murder suspect has been recaptured.On Monday, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said that 37-year-old Steven Lawrence Wright was recaptured at a hotel in Boulder City, Nevada. Wright was accidentally released on January 30 after confusion over his paperwork, but his disappearance was not noticed until over a day later. According to a press release, the sheriff's department said they received a tip about Wright's location on Monday morning, and alerted the FBI. Wright was apparently taken into custody "without incident."

Wright was held on suspicion of murder for the 2011 killing of Donnell Taylor in Pasadena. According to the L.A. Times, Wright was convicted last year but had his conviction overturned. He was being held at the Inmate Reception Center (part of the Twin Towers facility) for a contempt of court charge, and was released when his 5-day sentence for the charge was up.

No additional charges will be filed against Wright, say authorities.