This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Meet Chris Tolles: With 50,000 News Feeds, He Made Topix.com
Chris Tolles is the CEO of Topix.com, a website that aggregates content about cities and neighborhoods. At last week's Web 2.0 Conference in San Francisco, he spoke to us about letting people be engaged in their local news and how the site has been especially usefulness in small markets--think Ventura or Barstow. You can check out the Los Angeles version of the site here and find Tolles on Twitter at @tolles.
Other Interviews from the Web 2.0 Conference:
- Clara Shih, Author of The Facebook Era
- Jeffrey Kalmikoff, threadless t-shirts
- Lucian Tarnowski on Getting Jobs through Social Media
- Asya Shein of Fusicology
- Dr. Natalie Petouhoff, Customer Service and Social Media Consultant
- William Marc Salsberry, Tech Photographer
- Alexia Tsotsis of LA Weekly
- Mike Prasad of Kogi BBQ and Girl Gamer
- Sean Percival of lalawag
By Mark Dienger, Special to LAist