May 15: Do Not Pump Gas Day, but also Election Day
We get these e-mail every so often. The ones that go "April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight. On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places." That's nice and all, but we rather see it tell people to use public transit. That's where the true effect will come into play.
With May 15th in mind, we would like to remind you that it is an election day in some parts of Los Angeles:
- Assembly District 39 (East and Northeast Valley, here's a map)
- LAUSD District 3 (lots of Valley)
- LAUSD District 7 (parts of South LA to the Harbor)
- Los Angeles Community College District; Office 5
- Council Member, Council; City of Redondo Beach; District 5
So if you got that voting info book, make it a point to vote! Don't forget to walk or ride your bike to the polling location.
Graphic by some genius that we do not know who to credit (it came in our e-mail)