LA Observed (by Canada)
Much thanks to Here in Van Nuys who pointed us towards another Van Nuys based blog - We's in California. Bluntly and comically, a Canadian couple shares accounts of their new homeland, including seeing a rapper in the bank and dealing with Homeland Security. After perusing this crackup blog, we had to share some of our favorite quotes with you:
- Santa Monica is pretty much like every scene from White Men Can't Jump, except the Jeopardy scene.
- We found an Anglican church in our area and went to the service in the morning. We sang the star spangled banner half way through. We may keep looking for a church.
- Freeways in northern California are mostly very nice. Freeways in southern California are for the most part absolute crap and usually not even worth getting on.
- ...a market we plan on going to that apparently shoots fake snow in the air for 4 hours a night for the next few weeks. Sounds environmentally devastating.
- Every single minivan you see has a sticker that says something annoying like "My Child is an Honor Student at I.M. Greedy Middle School". I say let kids be kids. I would settle for "My Child Hasn't Done Drugs Yet!".
Photo by We's in California author - Gareth Duplooy - via Flickr