Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Uber Driver Says He Was Beaten For No Reason After Picking Up The Wrong Passengers

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

An Uber driver says he was beaten on New Year's Eve after picking up the wrong passengers.

Gilbert Wilburn said he picked up two men from a party at Redondo Avenue and East Second Street in Long Beach near midnight on New Year's Eve, KTLA reports. Though the men seemed drunk, he thought everything was fine until he was nearly to their requested destination. That's when his phone let him know that the real rider had cancelled their request. The men he was transporting were not the ones who called the Uber.

Wilburn explained the situation to them and told them they'd have to pay their fare or get out of the car. They told him they'd pay, so he finished driving them to an apartment building at Temple Avenue and East Wall Street in Signal Hill. This two-mile ride would have cost them about $6, Wilburn said. Wilburn got out of the car to help the men get out, and then things turned violent.

"I don’t know what he was thinking. He pushed me two or three times," Wilburn told KTLA. "Next thing I know, I was on my back and I blacked out."

Support for LAist comes from

He said the other man then started choking him. He said he tried to fight back, but blacked out several more times. Finally, the men fled. Wilburn suffered several cuts and a bruised jaw, which has made it difficult for him to speak.

Signal Hill police said they had a report of the beating, but for whatever reason, they have not yet interviewed Wilburn. They provided no further details.

Wilbur's wife, Valerie Adams, told KTLA that the police have been given the address Wilburn took the men to, but that they have not been caught. She wants the men charged with attempted murder.