Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Nearly 100 Deputies Evict Residents, Protesters At 'Fort Hernandez'

LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

This morning nearly 100 deputies showed up to evict a Van Nuys family whose home—dubbed "Fort Hernandez"—has been a center of local anti-foreclosure protests.

The deputies arrived in armored cars and secured a perimeter in the neighborhood before evicting the Hernandez family, a family of nine including four children. For almost four months, the family's home has been surrounded by community members and protesters decrying the foreclosure.

Earlier this week the Hernandez family had been told they were going to be evicted on Christmas Eve. Their attorney Philip Koebel told Ron Kaye that he was hoping for a last-minute reprieve but those hopes were dashed this morning.

There were no injuries or arrests reported during the eviction process this morning, according to NBC Los Angeles. There was the family, 18 protesters and 5 dogs at the site when deputies arrived. They had dump trucks with them and started taking apart the make-shift fort immediately after the eviction. A chain-link fence was put up around the home.

Support for LAist comes from

Sheriff's department spokesman Steve Whitmore told NBC it "went as smooth as silk."

Earlier this year, Ulises Hernandez told LAist that after the monthly payments on his family's adjustable rate mortgage shot up, they stopped making payments four years ago at the suggestion of their lender at the time Countrywide. They applied for loan modifications three times, before their house was sold to the Bank of New York Mellon. They were given a notice to leave on August 26.

Related:
To Save Their Home, Van Nuys Family Joins With Activists To Erect 'Fort Hernandez'