Salt & Straw's New Thanksgiving Flavors Include 'Buttered Mashed Potatoes & Gravy'
Salt & Straw's Halloween flavors have vanished back into the abyss, and the ice cream shop's Thanksgiving flavors have arrived. For the month of November, you can get a scoop of one of their seasonal flavors, each of which evokes a different dish you might find at a family potluck.
- Sweet Potato Casserole w/ Maple Pecans: A sweet potato ice cream base is enhanced with a maple syrup and marshmallow fluff ribbon, then embedded with homemade candied pecans.
- Buttered Mashed Potatoes and Gravy: A little weird, perhaps, but here we are. They take a salty, buttery mashed potato ice cream, then swirl it with white chocolate gravy.
- California Acorn and Chestnut Stuffing: This flavor uses a spiced chestnut ice cream base, laced with California acorn brown bread. The acorns, which come via Northern California, are blended into a flour. The bread is then baked in-house, then cooked into a bread pudding with black pepper and thyme. This particular flavor is exclusive to Salt & Straw's L.A. shops.
- Salted Caramel Thanksgiving Turkey: This one takes crispy turkey brittle and folds it into a turkey fat caramel ice cream.
- Spiced Goat Cheese and Pumpkin Pie: Perhaps the most traditional flavor on the list, this flavor takes goat cheese from Cypress Grove in Northern California and baked pumpkin pie filling, and mashes it all into one spicy, sweet ice cream.
Salt & Straw is located at 240 N. Larchmont Blvd. in Larchmont Village; 1357 Abbot Kinney Blvd. in Venice; 12180 1/2 Ventura Blvd. in Studio City; and 829 E. 3rd St. in the Arts District.