This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Last Minute Plans: 2nd Annual Korean BBQ Cook-Off is Today!
Photo by aalorber via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
It's not too late to get in on the sizzling action in K-Town today as part of the 2nd annual Korean BBQ Cook-Off. Showcasing some of the city's top Korean BBQ eateries, the event has free admission, lots to see and do, and of course tons to eat.It's happening from now until 8 p.m. on the upper parking lot of the 3600 Wilshire building, located at 3600 Wilshire Blvd. Between Kingsley Dr. and Harvard Blvd. For $5 a plate you can eat food from the vendors (cash only, exchanged for vouchers). Plus there's a Beer Garden, treats for dessert (Scoops, Coolhaus, Sprinkles), a Soju Mix-Off cocktail competition, and a cook-off with high-profile judges like Jonathan Gold, actress Sandra Oh, and Chef Ludo Lefebvre.
After the event winds down, Cafe Bleu at 6th and Alexandria will be serving Cook-Off attendees starting at 8 pm, and the winning Mixologist’s cocktail will be served till closing.
- 2:00 pm - All-You-Can-Eat contest with mystery ingredient
- 3:30 pm - Soju Mix-Off, sponsored by Jinro and Sauce LA
- 5:00 pm - Cook-Off competition
- 6:15 pm - Awards ceremony
Parking is $5 at Paramount Parking, the parking lot for the 3580 Wilshire Building. Entrance is on the west side of Ardmore.
- FREE entrance!
- BOOTH OPERATORS AT THIS EVENT WILL ONLY ACCEPT $5 VENDOR VOUCHERS. Please bring cash to exchange for vouchers. Ticket exchange booths will accept CASH ONLY.
- Beer garden!
- Other food booths will include (tentative list): Cool Haus, shaved ice, drinks, grilled corn, and more!
- Barbecue categories will include LA galbi (marinated bone-in beef ribs), galbi (marinated boned-out beef ribs), pork ribs, and bulgogi (marinated sliced sirloin).
- Don’t forget cash, sunscreen and please leave all pets at home!
- Go green! Carpool, bike or exit the purple line Metro stop: Wilshire/Western or Wilshire/Normandie
- FREE bike valet via Flying Pigeon LA will be available at the event from noon - 6pm.