This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Where There's Smoke...
Photo of some naked mannequins at the Americana by Kim Shattuck via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- In case you haven't heard, there's been a massive fire burning on the backlot of Universal Studios since early this morning. One issue under investigation: If the "deluge pipes" built into the sets after a fire at the studios in the 90s caused the low water pressure that made tackling the blaze particularly difficult today.
- Police are looking for the gunman who took the life of 17-year-old Polytechnic High football player Jesus "Jesse" Florian, who was shot and killed while attending a party in Sun Valley last night.
- Another shooting last night, this one in Van Nuys, left one man dead and another wounded. The incident took place on Woodley Street, south of Saticoy.
- A 29-year-old Covina man was arrested today"on suspicion of planting a fake bomb at a Metrolink station." The package in question was discovered in the parking structure of the station at 599 N. Citrus Friday evening.
- Fashion icon Yves St. Laurent has died in Paris. The 71-year-old was a favorite designer of many older celebrities.
- Today's the last day of Book Expo America... LA Now shares some scoop about the books and celebs readers have been mingling with during the three-day long event.
- It must be getting close to summer, because Grand Performances start tonight downtown. Blogdowntown looks at this year's lineup, and remembers how fun last year was, too.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.