Extra, Extra: Where There's Smoke...
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.
- In case you haven't heard, there's been a massive fire burning on the backlot of Universal Studios since early this morning. One issue under investigation: If the "deluge pipes" built into the sets after a fire at the studios in the 90s caused the low water pressure that made tackling the blaze particularly difficult today.
- Police are looking for the gunman who took the life of 17-year-old Polytechnic High football player Jesus "Jesse" Florian, who was shot and killed while attending a party in Sun Valley last night.
- Another shooting last night, this one in Van Nuys, left one man dead and another wounded. The incident took place on Woodley Street, south of Saticoy.
- A 29-year-old Covina man was arrested today "on suspicion of planting a fake bomb at a Metrolink station." The package in question was discovered in the parking structure of the station at 599 N. Citrus Friday evening.
- Fashion icon Yves St. Laurent has died in Paris. The 71-year-old was a favorite designer of many older celebrities.
- Today's the last day of Book Expo America... LA Now shares some scoop about the books and celebs readers have been mingling with during the three-day long event.
- It must be getting close to summer, because Grand Performances start tonight downtown. Blogdowntown looks at this year's lineup, and remembers how fun last year was, too.