Extra, Extra: Wet and Wild
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Unpredictable, moody, and often hard to handle. No, we're not talking a Hollywood starlet overly fond of self-medicating, we're talking our own wacky weather, which is expected to remain "unstable" through tomorrow.
- A little candid camera action in former OC Sheriff Mike Carona's office, perhaps? The hidden video equipment was recently discovered as the ousted Carona awaits trial for corruption.
- Don't be surprised if the only cars you see headed out on the highways this weekend for some Memorial Day traveling are Priuses. (Priusii?) With soaring gas prices making folks think twice about driving extra miles, not everyone is up for a road trip. Today's LA Times has tips for weekend travel, and a few more reasons why the Prius is clearly a superior vehicle.
- In the overnight hours, a pair of robbers tied up five Rite Aid employees and locked them in the store's back shed while they helped themselves to $4000 in cash. The incident took place in Country Club Park. Where's that, you say? Check out our Country Club Park Neighborhood Project.
- Troubled times hit people and businesses, but how about a whole town? To the north of us in the Bay Area, the city of Vallejo filed for bankruptcy today. They're in the hole about $17 million.
- Police in Covina believe that the the man whose body was found this morning behind a supermarket on South Citrus Avenue committed suicide. A gun and a note were discovered near the body.
- 327 of the over 900 arrests made in California during a three-week long immigration sting took place in Los Angeles. Immigrants who had evaded deportation orders were targeted in the operation, with authorities netting additional arrests from others on scene who were also undocumented.
- Because who doesn't want to get a text message about a child abduction? Amber Alerts are now available wirelessly.