Extra. Extra: Attractive to the Eye & Soothing to the Smell
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- A shark attack off the shores of San Diego killed Dr. Dave Martin, a retired veterinarian and triathlete from Solana Beach. Martin was taking part in an early morning group swim near Fletcher Cove when the incident occured; an 8-mile section of beach remains closed.
- The fate of Rocky, the grizzly bear who bit and killed his trainer earlier this week, will soon be decided. Authorities released autopsy details today; his owner claims the animal was being "playful and affectionate" when the incident took place.
- The lockdown initiated last Friday night at Men's Central Jail in Santa Ana has finally been lifted. The OC jail entered lockdown mode following fights that broke out between inmates.
- More than just a few "business lunches" at Hooters: "Former Colton Councilman Ramon Hernandez has been sentenced to six months in jail for misusing a city credit card to make $5,500 worth of sex phone calls and pay for motel rooms" [cbs2.com].
- USC is in some hot water with the NCAA for selling some rule-breaking t-shirts featuring the name of one of their players; they say it's the handiwork of an "outside vendor" they didn't know anything about.
- In case your night has you motoring this way, just a warning via the Daily Breeze: "All lanes of Culver Boulevard between Sawtelle to Sepulveda boulevards will be closed overnight tonight for installation of crosswalks as part of a carpool lane project for the San Diego (405) Freeway." The shut down will last from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- It's not easy being green...and it can cost a lot of green. Emerald City blogger Siel has a few suggestions though for "Going green on the cheap."
- Those wacky arts' school kids... The SCVTalk.com blog has a video from 1991 they stumbled on showing CalArts kids making music with kitchen utensils, while a Julia Child video plays in the background. Parents, where did all that tuition money go if they only needed some spatulas and spoons to do their thing?