This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Facebook, meet Microsoft
- It's too hot for C-SPAN: Bush rocks out -- slightly -- to a band playing “Guantanamera” at a Hispanic heritage month event.
- "It's time to end the tradition of holocaust denial that has only deepened the pain of those whose parents and grandparents suffered the unspeakable horror of ethnic cleansing," Mayor Villaraigosa said about City Council's calling the 1.5 million Armenians killed a genocide. "When we don't speak up, when we are silent, what we see is a continuation of a cycle of violence."
- Watch out Connelly and other crime writers! Robert Wheeler is a retired motorcycle cop. Now he is a romance novelist and abstract painter who is doing quite well for himself.
- That runaway truck lane on Kanan Dume Road is there for a reason. A truck driver who wasn't supposed to be driving there in the first place couldn't stop as he traveled up to 70 m.p.h. down the hill, crashing into a Mercedes killing the driver and himself. A third victim, a firefighter on his way to work, was injured.
- Some say citywide Wi-Fi is just not that cool anymore. Although, if the city who gave it to residents uses it themselves as a tool for city services, say emergency disaster operations and parking meters, the benefit can be found. Burbank is examined while Los Angeles studies.
- A 127 miles north of Los Angeles, a 4.3 earthquake hit Ridgecrest this morning. The worse case scenario for LA is amongst all the fire, a large earthquake knocking out the water supply.
- Microsoft has come out as the winner in owning a piece of Facebook. For $240 million, the technology giant will be in charge of advertising on the site. Facebook has an estimated value of $15 billion.
- Journalist Violet Blue, who was named one of the 25 most influential people on the web by Forbes magazine, is suing porn actress Violet Blue over her name.
- The Wall Street Journal's Law Blog does a little wildfire Q & A with Michael Rhodes at Cooley Godward Kronish's San Diego office.