Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- Gov. Schwarzenegger has announced he will appoint Republican state Sen. Abel Maldonado to fill the vacated Lieutenant Governor position. The Governor revealed his choice while appearing on tonight's Jay Leno Show.
- In other position-filling news, new LAPD Chief Charlie Beck named his leadership team today.
- Cuts, cuts, and cuts approved today by the Orange County Transit Authority's Board of Directors. Expect route elimination and shortenings.
- The former Pasadena cop turned criminal known as the Polite Bandit was sentenced today to 13 years in federal prison for a series of robberies he committed last year.
- Former Democratic Presidential candidate John Kerry's daughter Alexandra will not face DUI charges as a result of her being pulled over recently in LA on suspicion of drunk driving.
- Some kids in Calabasas took TV's South Park to heart and followed a Facebook post saying Friday was "Kick a Ginger" Day by beating up a red-headed classmate. The incident, is not, however, being treated as a hate crime.
- LAist alum Caroline on Crack tells Squid Ink readers 5 tips for taking "food porn" pictures. Happy picture-taking! Don't forget to put your "food porn" shots in our LAist Featured Photos pool; we may use them for our ongoing "Eye Nosh" series.