LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Gov. Schwarzenegger has announced he will appoint Republican state Sen. Abel Maldonado to fill the vacated Lieutenant Governor position. The Governor revealed his choice while appearing on tonight's Jay Leno Show.
- In other position-filling news, new LAPD Chief Charlie Beck named his leadership team today.
- Cuts, cuts, and cuts approved today by the Orange County Transit Authority's Board of Directors. Expect route elimination and shortenings.
- The former Pasadena cop turned criminal known as the Polite Bandit was sentenced today to 13 years in federal prison for a series of robberies he committed last year.
- Former Democratic Presidential candidate John Kerry's daughter Alexandra will not face DUI charges as a result of her being pulled over recently in LA on suspicion of drunk driving.
- Some kids in Calabasas took TV's South Park to heart and followed a Facebook post saying Friday was "Kick a Ginger" Day by beating up a red-headed classmate. The incident, is not, however, being treated as a hate crime.
- LAist alum Caroline on Crack tells Squid Ink readers 5 tips for taking "food porn" pictures. Happy picture-taking! Don't forget to put your "food porn" shots in our LAist Featured Photos pool; we may use them for our ongoing "Eye Nosh" series.