This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: What is Predatory Towing?
- Some more updates to the Mudslide that happened earlier today on Forest Lawn Drive.
- An estimated 27,000 DWP customers lost power due to rain and lightning. And the rain only seemed to hit hard in select parts of the Los Angeles area.
- And because of all this rain dumping crazy stuff into the ocean, stay away for at least three days.
- "Why am I consistently one of the only white people riding the bus every frickin' day? For that matter, why is it that by and large the only other white people riding with me are either passed out or carrying their worldly possessions in a Ralph's bag?"
- LA Times columnist, Sandy Banks, had her car towed on a weekend night in a Bank of America lot costing her $337.50. Afterwards, like a good journalist, she did her homework and found out all about predatory tow companies.
- Barry Bonds, San Francisco Giants? No more.
- 92 Square Miles of Solar Power Could Power the U.S.A.
- What's up Valley? Two winning tickets were sold in the South Valley this week. The first one in Sherman Oaks and last night's in Studio City.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.