This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: LAUSD Issues Paychecks to Dead People
- Best line of the day: "If L.A. Unified can't figure out the math on employee paychecks, can it be trusted to teach more than 700,000 students?" It's been 231 days since the whole fiasco began at the LAUSD. Teachers aren't being paid while dead people are being issues paychecks.
- Autumn officially begins on Sundaysays the Griffith Observatory's Sky Report, which also states Mercury, Jupiter, Mars and Venus can all be seen in the sky this week.
- The Barry Building in Brentwood, built in 1951 and where Dutton's Bookstore resided, came closer to being a historical landmark today.
- For those who do not drive on the 101 Freeway, the house, yes, a full blown house, that was left there over the weekend is still there. Now it's even tagged.
- Dan Rather is suing CBS for $70-million over the 2005 scandal that eventually led to his removal at the "CBS Evening News" desk. He was anchor for 24 years.
- Now NBC4 is using the word "hipsters" when referring to Silver Lake in a story about the 500 new parking meters being installed on Sunset Blvd.
- Which parking violation gets the most ticketing action? You guessed it, the one that we sleep in for: street cleaning. Number two, meter violations and three is expired tags or not showing license plate. For the full list, Daily News has a PDF.
- NPR's From The Top visits Honors String Quartet of the Colburn School downtown. Listen to these Los Angeles teens play Maurice Ravel's String Quartet.
Photo by kpe II via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.