LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Applications to be the Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department are due tonight. Hurry!
- Another loss of arts and culture in downtown? The Museum of Neon Art may move to Glendale.
- The skateboard park opening in Venice on October 3rd has people talking about how it "may create a skateboarding scene unrivaled since the ’70’s and 80’s where skateboarding was born and Dogtown skaters made international history," says Yo Venice.
- A hockey fan's dream: the Los Angeles Kings went ahead and hired the Daily News blogger who covered them. Now he's the King's official blogger and he gets to travel with them.
- Marilyn Manson has swine flu, he writes on Facebook: “So I have officially been diagnosed, by a real doctor, with THE SWINE FLU. I know everyone will suggest that fucking a pig is how this disease was obtained. However, the doctor said, my past choices in women have, in 'no way' contributed to… me acquiring this mysterious sickness. Unfortunately, I am going to survive.”
- Manslaughter charges have been recommended in a case where a La Habra police officer last April ran a red light, killing a husband and wife, while responding to a call.
- Only 14,525 (11.84%) of 123,750 registered voters in L.A.'s council district 2 voted in yesterday's election, which put the two frontrunner candidates into a runoff. Activist blogger Ron Kaye says this means residents will be "represented at City Hall by someone who represents the interests of those who have taken LA hostage."
- Metal phone boxes are an issue for blind pedestrians, who are asking for them to be installed further up utility poles.