Extra, Extra: New California Laws & More...
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Rally champion Colin McRae dies with son in helicopter crash. McRae participated in the last two X-Games, rolling his car both times at the Home Depot Center. He last competed here on August 5th, his birthday by the way.
- Complete with an interactive map, Daily News finds that Pedestrian vs. Automobile accidents are high in the Valley. (Author's note: after being hit by a car in a hit and run when I was legally crossing the street at a light during the walk signal, I will never cross the street the same again. I was sideswiped from behind by an 80-year-old woman and yes, I remembered her license plate as she drove off).
- For those non TV-watching people, the Emmy's are on tonight.
- Steve Lopez visits a couple in Highland Park who, with neighbors, paint out graffiti, sometimes under the cover of darkness just like taggers do. The article mentions them seeing the taggers and thinking about calling 311, the city's 24-hour operator service. However, if you ever see taggers in action, get yourself to a safe place and call 911. No joke.
- Talk about complicated: Schwarzenegger, the legislature and universal health care for California.
- Speaking of Sacramento, 962 bills were passed last Wednesday. LA Times has the comprehensive list.
- Mandatory evacuations were ordered today at the "out-of-control" fire in the San Bernardino National Forest.
- Don't forget to enter our Arcade Fire ticket giveaway contest for their Thursday appearance at the Hollywood Bowl.