This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Littering Sometimes Gets You a DUI
- Best headline, as found at the California Progress Report: "Scientific Study Reveals That Conservatives Lack Brain Power – Unable To Break Bad Habits, Correct Mistakes."
- Yesterday's tentative ruling on an Echo Park apartment rent control lawsuit has "implications for about 26,000 people who live in rent-controlled buildings and receive federal subsidies." So far, the people are protected.
- The only major event for the Los Angeles Fire Department was a morning crash between a Gold Line train and a truck between at Avenue 55 and Marmion Way. Blocking both tracks, buses "bridged" passengers to the next train station. By 1:30 p.m., the Gold Line was back in action.
- Going off grid: The Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) has a plan of making all nine of its campuses powered by solar energy. East Los Angeles College started building its solar power farm last month with Chevron Energy Solutions.
- The Los Angeles Convention Center strives to go green too.
- Russia bound? Starting next summer, Transaero will begin regular flights between Moscow and Los Angeles.
- The Ethics Commission, today, fined both Mayor Villaraigosa ($5,200 for 30 counts) and Council Zine ($8,080 for 32 counts) for campaign fund-raising violations.
- Don't litter stupid! Soap opera actress Kirsten Storms was pulled over on the 101 freeway early Friday morning for throwing a cigarette out her window. Then officers noticed the smell of alcohol. Whoops! Jail she went.
Photo of Anacapa Island at the Channel Islands National Park by doisneau via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.