Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- SoCal es en fuego...there are fires burning in Sylmar, Corona, Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills. Hundreds of homes have been lost and thousands of residents have been forced to evacuate. A state of emergency has been declared in LA County. For official updates, check out the websites for the LAFD and the Orange County Fire Authority.
- We got a txt msg (how cool is that!) from the City of Santa Clarita telling us that the 5 and 14 freeways have been reopened (for now, anyway). We signed up for text alerts here -- and other communities might want to think about installing similar systems.
- Thousands of protesters braved the heat and the wrath of the Mormons today to protest prop H8. LAist has pictures of Democracy in action in Downtown LA.
- Speaking of h8, the election of our first (half) African-American president has spurred 'hundreds' of racial threats and crimes: cross burnings, nooses and kids chanting "assassinate Obama." What is a matter with some people?
- Upset in the making? Stanford and USC are tied at halftime. Remember last year's football game when Stanford was a 41-point underdog and ... well, ended up beating 'SC 24-23?
- Tomorrow marks the start of National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week (Nov. 16-22). With the economy in the crapper and Los Angeles burning down, it's a reminder that we all need to be a little more aware of the hardships many families face right now. We got a heads up e-mail from someone video documenting those "invisible people" right now.
- Are you watching a lot of TV? A recent poll showed that unhappy people watch the boob tube 30 percent more than happy people. But hey, it's cheaper than therapy.
- File this under celeb nonnews: SamRo is PO'd that LiLo got hit with a flour bomb whilst she was wearing a fur coat in Gay Paris.