Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- The personal stories of the victims of Friday's horrific Metrolink derailment are slowly emerging, as more names have been released, along with details about their lives.
- A 33-year-old man who was shot in the head twice overnight by an unknown gunman in a Santa Ana Burger King is expected to survive; his head wounds are described as minor, although CAT scans revealed debris lodged inside.
- Good news for the life expectancy of California inmates, too, as it's being reported that the death rate of our state's prisoners has decreased 30% since 2006.
- Up in Ventura we've got a case of some forgetful shoplifters, namely the pair in their early 20s who allegedly wheeled some stolen merchandise out of a Kohl's store, then ditched the cart--and their 4-year-old daughter riding in it--in the parking lot and took off in their car.
- If you are a regular visitor of the Studio City Farmer's Market, you might be interested to know that the Neighborhood Council is considering implementing a ban on smoking inside the market. The council meets this week.
- In honor of David Foster Wallace, who ended his life last week in Claremont, KCRW's The Politics of Culture will devote this week's show to the popular writer. It airs Tuesday at 2:30 on 89.9.
- James Fayed, husband of the woman found stabbed in a Century City parking garage in July, has been charged with his wife's murder.
- The ripples of today's major market meltdown are far-reaching, as the failing of two major firms, along with the ensuing stock market drops, have investors and consumers here in LA and around the country facing precarious finances.