Extra, Extra: Down the Coast
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- There might be a four-concert series at Venice Beach this September and October. It's proposed to be a pilot program, but NIMBY neighbors, including Angelica Huston, don't even want to give it a try in the first place.
- Leopard Sharks are sharing the waters with beach goers in Venice and Marina del Rey these days. But lifeguards say the up-to-6.5-feet sharks are non-threatening to humans and beaches will not close.
- Long Beach might become part of Orange County. Fullerton might become Los Angeles County. All these options and more are on the table with the latest in border rearranging to better maintain a flood control channel.
- Further down the coast in San Diego, an oceanside bluff collapsed killing a man below at the Torrey Pines State Beach.
- The LA Times welcomes both a new Foreign and National Editor today.
- A judge decided that it will be 11 life sentences for Juan Alvarez, who in 2005 doused his car with gasoline and left it on the train tracks before derailing two trains that killed 11 people.
- "UCLA's Dawn Harper wins the 100m hurdles when American favorite Lolo Jones snags her foot."
- As for Prop 8, the November ballot initiative to eliminate gay marriage, the proponents just got a big funding boost: $1 million from the Knights of Columbus.