Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- A mystery in San Clemente: OC Sheriff's are investigating the death of a man whose body was found in a park there today. He suffered trauma to the torso, but no details about how and why he came to be in the park are known.
- Here's a tough lesson for those who like to play their car stereos too loud: Do it too often and too early in the morning and your neighbor might shoot you to death.
- Curfew laws are changing for minors; those under 18 still need to be at home between 10 p.m. and sunrise, but now you must be in school during school hours (instead of only until 1:30 p.m.). Because, sure, all teens are home by 10 and stay on campus the whole school day, right?
- She loves her some Lloyd Dobler, that's for sure... A Van Nuys court determined that the 33-year-old woman who is accused of stalking actor John Cusack is mentally competent to stand trial, however she can't act her own attorney.
- Remember that body that was found packed in dry ice in a Newport Beach hotel in March? The autopsy has just been released, and the victim did not suffer physical trauma. Her body had been kept in the dry ice for possibly as long as a year following her death by overdose of cocaine and heroin.
- Don't want to eat those leftovers? If you live in South L.A., Lincoln Heights, or Harbor Gateway you might soon have a pail you can use to turn those scraps into compost as part of a new pilot program.
- The California state senate has approved a bill that requires patients seeking elective cosmetic surgery to submit to a physical before the procedure. This law was born from the death of musical artist Kanye West's mother Donda died during liposuction.
- Looking forward to the VMA's? (We are!) See what happened when host Russell Brand took the Defamer Pop Culture Test.
- And finally, not in LA, but to the north of us in Cupertino (you know what's there), a fire had workers scrambling for their iPhones and the exits when a building on the Apple campus caught fire last night. The cause is believed to be accidental, and there were no injuries and minimal damage reported.
- Want a chance to go see Café Tacvba & Ima Robot at the Greek Theatre? All you have to do is click over here and tell us where you think a scramble diagonal crosswalk should be installed. Good luck and tonight's the last night to enter!