Extra, Extra: The View From Here
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- A drive-by shooting that took place late Friday in Harbor Gateway claimed the life of its 17-year-old victim Daniel Moran early this morning when he succumbed to his wounds.
- Hundreds of students and parents took part in a protest today in Jefferson Park against a proposed light-rail line that would go through their community.
- It took 16 years, but a suspect has finally been caught in the 1992 hit-and-run murder of two elderly pedestrians in San Pedro. The suspect was arrested when he tried to cross the Mexican border.
- Need a good way to get out of going to jail? How about if the patrol car you're in gets hit by another car; it just happened last night in Santa Ana.
- From the "snack attack" files: Four young boys ranging from 11-14 were caught the other day breaking into the campus snack bar of Valencia High. After they'd snuck in through a vent they were found chowing down on candy bars and Gatorade.
- An interesting look at one of our city's Councilwomen with an intriguing title: Jan Perry Has Balls. Well alrighty then.
- The Daily News has a profile of former talk show host and Sherman Oaks resident Jenny Jones, who now runs a foundation that awards grants to individuals seeking to improve their communities. The article begins a bit dubiously, though: "Jenny Jones was a daily fixture on daytime television for so long that there are some people who think her talk show is still on the air." Seriously? Who are you people?
- It's contest time again! Win tickets to see Cafe Tacvba and Ima Robot at the Greek. Just head over to this part of LAist and leave a comment telling us where you think a scramble crosswalk should be set up in LA.