Extra, Extra: Lazy, Hazy, Crazy
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Off-duty Sheriff's Deputy Juan Escalante, 27, was shot dead in front of his home this morning in Cypress Park. 5 shots were fired at around 5:40 a.m. and Escalante's body was discovered by his wife and his mother. Authorities are investigating the case to determine if it is gang-related.
- The husband of the woman stabbed to death in a Century City parking garage has been arrested by the FBI on charges related to his work in international gold trading. Documents on file in Ventura County state the wife had accused her estranged husband of illegal practices including violating federal laws.
- A crash involving multiple vehicles injured 5 and led to lanes being shut down on the 118 Freeway this morning. The incident took place on the eastbound lanes just west of Balboa.
- The DMV in Norco was evacuated yesterday when a disgruntled woman made a bomb threat against the office. The suspect was arrested and jailed.
- Thai Town is now a Preserve America community and is eligible for up to a quarter of a million dollars in grants. (And if anyone wants tips on where to eat in Thai Town, well, you know where to look!)
- Another mountain lion incident, this time one involving the loss of a family dog in La Canada. Keep those dogs and cats close if you live in a mountain lion-ous area!
- Lindsay Lohan responds to Chief Bratton's comment that she'd "gone gay" by basically saying the police need to mind their own business when it comes to stars' personal lives.
- Where is the hottest property in town? (Hint: Not Bel Air or Malibu.) Okay, it's underground, 30 miles northwest of Santa Clarita, where a fire far below the surface of an oil field has the ground temperature around 812 degrees. Yowch!!!