Extra, Extra: Fly 'em High
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.
- A fire broke out this afternoon in Malibu that started in a mobile home. Firefighters are working to extinguish the blaze, and as a precaution, folks have been evacuated from nearby Malibu Creek State Park.
- Good news for people who like to hang out in neighborhood parks: "Summer Night Lights" is a new program that will keep parks in 8 troubled neighborhoods open until midnight four nights a week, many of them starting tonight. The idea is to give young people a place to gather and to participate in community activities while hopefully keeping them away from crime.
- Does the 4th of July mean HOT DOGS to you? Do you wish you could eat enough to challenge the champions back east at Coney Island's Nathan's? For those of you with envy of the hot doggery, check out Gothamist's liveblogging coverage of today's chow fest--and take pride that a California took top honors!
- What do high school principals do in their time off? Well, one of them likes to pretend he's a 12-year-old girl online.
- YouTube is about to go all "big brother" on their users, as a judge has ordered the online video site to disclose information about who watches what as part of helping companies whose copyrighted material is being viewed determine if their vids are more watched than others. YouTube is owned by California-based Google, who say doing so would be costly and difficult.
- What's it like on the beat, looking for people violating the hands-free cellphone law while behind the wheel? One LA Times opinion writer crossed the "thin Bluetooth line" on Melrose with a traffic cop handing out tickets. (Cost of the ticket here: $73.)
- Former Senator Jesse Helms died today at the age of 86. Many remember him for different reasons... KNBC.com diplomatically called him "unyielding."
- Happy 4th of July, LAist readers! Have fun, be safe, and...enjoy the fireworks!