Extra, Extra: They Like Us, They Really Like Us!
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Bragging rights: LAist came in a respectable 2nd place in the 50th Annual Southern California Journalism Awards for Website-only journalism. The Awards, which are given by the LA Press Club, were handed out this weekend. A great big congratulations and thank you to all our staff past and present, and to you our valued readers and commenters for being a part of our success.
- They say cats have 9 lives...and today there's one gang member in LA who needs 7--to serve all of the 7 life terms he was sentenced to today for a 2006 kidnapping and day-long repeated raping of a woman who was grabbed in a West Hollywood parking lot. 28-year old Denson Henderson was the "mastermind" of the plot that involved another perpetrator; he won't be eligible for parole for over 352 years.
- With the price of gas in LA soaring above the national average, some folks are heading over the border to get their gas for about $1.50/gallon less in Tijuana. Is it worth the trip?
- Did you feel it? A 4.0 quake rumbled 6 miles deep beneath parts of San Bernardino and Riverside counties around 7:15 this morning and was centered just east of Loma Linda.
- This afternoon around 3 in Sylmar a house fire was put out on Pasha Street. There were reports of explosions in relation to the incident, but no cause has been released. a 15-year-old male was treated for injuries and released.
- So what's next for Larchmont Village, as the retail redevelopment of the once-charming area looms imminent. So which of your favorite national chains will end up there?
- Do you like free things? How about free things to drink? Well, you'll soon be in luck: Tomorrow Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf is having a "Yogurt Iced Blended Power Hour" where they'll give away one free (size: small) sample of the new beverage, which comes in three flavors, Mango, Strawberry, and Original, between 4-5 p.m.
- And you can maximize your free beverages tomorrow by heading to Silver Lake's LA Mill for a free sample of one of their favorite coffees, all day from 7 a.m.-10 p.m.