Extra, Extra: 29 to Give Away
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- The Screen Actors Guild began contract talks today with one of the issues being new media. Will there be a strike or will this go through?
- Answer: A large natural gas leak. Question: Why was San Fernando Road closed this morning in the Atwater Village/Glassell Park area?
- Ollie Johnston, an animator and one of Walt Disney's "Nine Old Men," died today in Sequim, Washington.
- It's not always rent to buy: An undercover FBI agent put the smack down on a man fraudulently trying to take out a $500,000 equity line of credit on a home he was renting in Valley Village.
- Two years, 52 acts, $108,000 worth of property damage by graffiti tagging = one year of jail officially, much less for good behavior. The cop who spent two years tracking the kid down is not happy.
- Siel Ju, aka GreenLAGirl, is giving something away everyday for the 29-Day Giving Challenge. Today's gift? Cash to StopGlobalWarming.org.
- Speaking of giving stuff away... LAist is giving away five pairs of tickets to a private Portishead rehearsal.
- Talking up LACMA's new exhibit, "Phantom Sightings: Art After the Chicano Movement," over at the LA Times.
- Damien Newton at StreetsblogLA expands upon the Mayor's comments about public transportation in the State of the City speech made last night.