Extra, Extra: 29 to Give Away
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- The Screen Actors Guild began contract talks today with one of the issues being new media. Will there be a strike or will this go through?
- Answer: A large natural gas leak. Question: Why was San Fernando Road closed this morning in the Atwater Village/Glassell Park area?
- Ollie Johnston, an animator and one of Walt Disney's "Nine Old Men," died today in Sequim, Washington.
- It's not always rent to buy: An undercover FBI agent put the smack down on a man fraudulently trying to take out a $500,000 equity line of credit on a home he was renting in Valley Village.
- Two years, 52 acts, $108,000 worth of property damage by graffiti tagging = one year of jail officially, much less for good behavior. The cop who spent two years tracking the kid down is not happy.
- Siel Ju, aka GreenLAGirl, is giving something away everyday for the 29-Day Giving Challenge. Today's gift? Cash to StopGlobalWarming.org.
- Speaking of giving stuff away... LAist is giving away five pairs of tickets to a private Portishead rehearsal.
- Talking up LACMA's new exhibit, "Phantom Sightings: Art After the Chicano Movement," over at the LA Times.
- Damien Newton at StreetsblogLA expands upon the Mayor's comments about public transportation in the State of the City speech made last night.