Extra, Extra: Look Before You Leap
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- Police are saying today that a 16-year-old boy was killed last night in a drive by shooting that took place at a Hyde Park bus stop. The shooting is believed to be gang-related.
- It's a no contest plea for Sharon M. Walker. The 56-year-old is accused of bilking hundreds of thousands of dollars from her clients between 1999 and 2005, including from the late Charlton Heston.
- "Holy Shite" is right! The folks at CurbedLA are passing on this warning from Councilman Bill Rosendahl, who says there has been a marked increase in home invasions on the Westside targeting elderly women.
- Check your labels, folks. Looks like expired baby food and medications are turning up on the shelves of several Los Angeles and other SoCal area CVS drug stores.
- These things happen when you've got light rail sharing the roads with private vehicles: A Metro Blue Line train collided with a pickup truck this afternoon around 2:30. The train was headed north and the incident occurred at 1847 Flower Street. No one was hurt.
- More traffic woes, this time on the freeway--the 210 specifically. Local transit officials have declared that the completion of the last 8 mile segment of the freeway has indeed caused more traffic on the highway between San Bernardino and Redlands. Uh, wasn't that the idea?
- Notice an unexpected spring in your step today? Feel giddy for no apparent reason? Turns out June 20th is "The Happiest Day of the Year"--mostly because it's the one with the most sun. Angelenos to the psychologist who came up with this crap: "No shit it's got the most sun. It's freaking hotter than hell here today!" Well, at least we have someone or something to blame.