Extra, Extra: Look Before You Leap
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Police are saying today that a 16-year-old boy was killed last night in a drive by shooting that took place at a Hyde Park bus stop. The shooting is believed to be gang-related.
- It's a no contest plea for Sharon M. Walker. The 56-year-old is accused of bilking hundreds of thousands of dollars from her clients between 1999 and 2005, including from the late Charlton Heston.
- "Holy Shite" is right! The folks at CurbedLA are passing on this warning from Councilman Bill Rosendahl, who says there has been a marked increase in home invasions on the Westside targeting elderly women.
- Check your labels, folks. Looks like expired baby food and medications are turning up on the shelves of several Los Angeles and other SoCal area CVS drug stores.
- These things happen when you've got light rail sharing the roads with private vehicles: A Metro Blue Line train collided with a pickup truck this afternoon around 2:30. The train was headed north and the incident occurred at 1847 Flower Street. No one was hurt.
- More traffic woes, this time on the freeway--the 210 specifically. Local transit officials have declared that the completion of the last 8 mile segment of the freeway has indeed caused more traffic on the highway between San Bernardino and Redlands. Uh, wasn't that the idea?
- Notice an unexpected spring in your step today? Feel giddy for no apparent reason? Turns out June 20th is "The Happiest Day of the Year"--mostly because it's the one with the most sun. Angelenos to the psychologist who came up with this crap: "No shit it's got the most sun. It's freaking hotter than hell here today!" Well, at least we have someone or something to blame.