Extra, Extra: Ready to Dump Your Pump?
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.
- The testimony in the case against alleged gang member Pedro Espinosa for the murder of Jamiel Shaw was a pointed reminder of the brutality and tragedy of the 17-year-old high schooler's death, as his girlfriend and a neighbor took the stand in court today during the preliminary hearing.
- Today might be "Hump Day" but tomorrow happens to be "Dump the Pump" day, where everyone is encouraged to use public or alternative transit. It's a national event in its third year, and tomorrow local officials from Metrolink, Metro, and the Auto Club will really stick it to the man by holding a ceremonial towing-away of a gas hungry SUV.
- A 16,000 gallon sewage spill into the LA River in the Glendale area yesterday evening is having all sorts of ramifications, including the closure of a 1.75 mile portion of the beach in Long Beach today.
- How cool do you feel now, fellas? Four teens who couldn't wait a couple of more weeks for the sticker price to go down on the iPhone have been arrested for stealing three of the popular communication devices from an AT&T store in Whitter. The boys range in age from 14-18 and are all from Long Beach.
- Good news for Slash! The Guns N' Roses guitarist and his missus have been given the go-ahead to pursue a $1 million civil lawsuit against the realtor and agency for being sold a "lemon" of a home.
- Although nothing makes a statement like a suicide, the Prosecutor in the case against Juan Alvarez--the man who left his SUV on Metrolink tracks three years ago and caused a massive derailment and multiple deaths--said in his closing arguments today that the man wasn't suicidal, he "wanted to make a statement."
- And in other courtroom news, jurors hearing the case against a daughter and her boyfriend who stabbed her mother in the eye with a butter knife were shown a photo of the victim with her wounds; it was, however, the stabs to the neck that took the Huntington Beach woman's life. Shudder.
- You don't seriously hate free stuff, do you? Didn't think so. That's why you're going to click on over to post that could win you tix to see Robert Plant & Allison Krauss live at the Greek. Just tell us anything you feel like sharing about Griffith Park, and keep your fingers crossed!