Extra, Extra: Ready to Dump Your Pump?
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- The testimony in the case against alleged gang member Pedro Espinosa for the murder of Jamiel Shaw was a pointed reminder of the brutality and tragedy of the 17-year-old high schooler's death, as his girlfriend and a neighbor took the stand in court today during the preliminary hearing.
- Today might be "Hump Day" but tomorrow happens to be "Dump the Pump" day, where everyone is encouraged to use public or alternative transit. It's a national event in its third year, and tomorrow local officials from Metrolink, Metro, and the Auto Club will really stick it to the man by holding a ceremonial towing-away of a gas hungry SUV.
- A 16,000 gallon sewage spill into the LA River in the Glendale area yesterday evening is having all sorts of ramifications, including the closure of a 1.75 mile portion of the beach in Long Beach today.
- How cool do you feel now, fellas? Four teens who couldn't wait a couple of more weeks for the sticker price to go down on the iPhone have been arrested for stealing three of the popular communication devices from an AT&T store in Whitter. The boys range in age from 14-18 and are all from Long Beach.
- Good news for Slash! The Guns N' Roses guitarist and his missus have been given the go-ahead to pursue a $1 million civil lawsuit against the realtor and agency for being sold a "lemon" of a home.
- Although nothing makes a statement like a suicide, the Prosecutor in the case against Juan Alvarez--the man who left his SUV on Metrolink tracks three years ago and caused a massive derailment and multiple deaths--said in his closing arguments today that the man wasn't suicidal, he "wanted to make a statement."
- And in other courtroom news, jurors hearing the case against a daughter and her boyfriend who stabbed her mother in the eye with a butter knife were shown a photo of the victim with her wounds; it was, however, the stabs to the neck that took the Huntington Beach woman's life. Shudder.
- You don't seriously hate free stuff, do you? Didn't think so. That's why you're going to click on over to post that could win you tix to see Robert Plant & Allison Krauss live at the Greek. Just tell us anything you feel like sharing about Griffith Park, and keep your fingers crossed!