Extra, Extra: Spell Me, L-A
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- It’s that time of year for the Scripps National Spelling Bee! The tears, the drama, the overbearing parents! In 2007, Evan O'Dorney, won with "serrefine" and later went on to give this monumental interview to CNN. A couple LA-based students are in the semifinals at this year's 81st competition in Washington D.C. and they better not let us down (again)!
- A former Bell, CA police officer was arrested today for “violating a woman’s rights by forcing her to have sex with him while he was in uniform,” on May 16, 2007. The charges against Feliciano Sanchez, 33, of Pico Rivera include “alleged deprivation of rights under color of law and carrying a firearm during a crime of violence.” Car Ramrod! No? Too soon? Sorry…
- As if Thetan levels in Malibu couldn’t get any higher -- the Church of Scientology has begun work on a new location on the PCH. No word on when “Anonymous” plans to protest the opening, but we’ve got the under on a fortnight.
- OMG! Madonna’s coming to….. Vegas! That's right, fuel up at the pump or LAX, pick up your concert ticket (at least $72) and prepare to "Celebrate!"
- Long-time newspaper writer, Andrew Malcolm, 64, got tapped last year towrite a political blog for the LA Times. When asked about teaching an old (print) dog new (blog) tricks, Malcolm said, “To me… journalism was a place where people who wanted to learn the rest of their lives went to work.” Seems about right ol’ chap!
- Want to vote in the upcoming judicial races but feel a little confused? The LA Times got yo’ back.
- An autopsy on 15-year-old Dylan Bradshaw, who died after collapsing during football practice at Northwood (Irvine) High, was ruled inconclusive. The Orange County coroner’s office says the cause of death will likely be determined after a few weeks of more extensive testing.
- Duuuuudeee, got any more berries??? A phrase most likely overheard at Franz Aliquo’s “flavor tripping party.” At the shin-dig, you pay $15, he slips you a berry called “miracle fruit” which then alters your taste buds and can make straight hot sauce taste like “hot doughnut glaze.” Oh, you can buy it online, but you didn’t hear it from us.
- Sighting: City Councilman Eric Garcetti sees Mitt Romney pushing shopping cart in Utah. Unrelated: Mitt Romney may be moving to La Jolla.
Today's Extra, Extra is by Matt Vannucci