Extra, Extra: Turn It and Burn It
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- LA might have the tastiest tap water (or the dopest) but our beach water comes in as the worst.
- The cost of George Russell Weller's deadly 2003 drive-through accident at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market has now risen to $21 million. Two more suits were settled and approved this week, holding the city and the 91-year-old Weller financially responsible.
- Bad news for Boeing employees: By the end of June 750 workers in their Seal Beach and El Segundo facilities will be laid off.
- According to the LA Weekly blog LA Daily there have been no remains found yet at the former Charles Manson & friends desert hideout.
- A US Airways flight bound for Phoenix out of the OC's John Wayne Airport was delayed today while officials investigated the discovery of a swtichblade between two seats by a passenger.
- Speaking of air travel woes, American Airlines announced today that they will begin to charge for checked baggage, as well as increase the cost for flying overweight baggage in order to cover rising fuel costs.
- In a little pre-holiday weekend insult to injury, LA Now reports that in addition to the new ferris wheel's arrival at the Santa Monica pier being delayed, so is the opening of the Echo Park Deep Pool.
- It's one week until the renovated Huntington Gallery opens to the public, but a special sneak preview today allowed folks to get a glimpse of the grande dame's face-lift. When you're an aging beauty nearing 100, some cosmetic changes are very forgivable.