Extra, Extra: On the Good Ship Lollipop
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.
- An elderly woman was killed this morning in a hit-and-run accident. Apolonia Monzones Espiritu of West Covina was 91 years old. She was hit by a car backing out of a driveway.
- More information is being released about yesterday's showbiz bear attack that took the life of its trainer, including that the grizzly had a "good safety record" and that neighbors' heard the man's cries for help.
- Port police conducted anti-terrorism drills today at the Port of Los Angeles to safeguard the city's ships in case of attack.
- Valley Glen, represent! Two signs designating the neighborhood will be put up soon on the 170 Freeway, one each at Oxnard and Victory.
- Don't drink the water, kids...At least not at Woodlake Elementary School in the SFV. Why not? Well, turns out there's lead in it.
- OC residents, did'ja feel 'em? There were two minor earthquakes centered under the Santa Ana Mountains.
- Celebrities love to donate to their favorite politicians, even if they're casting their ballot from the voting booth in the sky. The late Roy Scheider is still sending his cash Obama's way.
- It's Wednesday, so it's Food day in the LA Times. Today they review a spot that has plenty of tongues wagging: LA Mill. They claim it outshines pretty much every other cafe in Silver Lake. Hmmm...
- Ice cream, gooey chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and a cherry on top. Mmm! Gridskipper has suffered the research process and has assembled their list of the best hot fudge sundaes in L.A.