Extra, Extra: All Signs Point To...
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- They're not going to take this lying down! An 8% tax on gross receipts for businesses in the adult industries is being met with resistance.
- A 61-year-old 1st grade teacher in Lynwood pleaded guilty today on a count of posessing child pornography. Kenneth Edward Kothe was arrested on November 28 and was subsequently suspended from his job.
- A segment of highway in Pomona was named in honor of a slain CHP officer today, and a sign was unveiled today "calling the stretch of the Pomona (60) Freeway between Phillips Ranch Road and Reservoir Street the "CHP Officer Thomas J. Steiner Memorial Highway." Today marked the 4th anniversary of Steiner's shooting.
- The OC's Men's Central Jail in Santa Ana remains on lockdown today after a race-related brawl began on Friday. Visitors have been denied access and all inmates are receiving meals in their cells.
- Some pre-Earth Day unrest was on hand over the weekend when protesters interrupted a tree-planting ceremony at Vista Hermosa Park. Their beef is with the LAUSD and the City for giving the land away without consulting the community.
- Speaking of "green" backlash, today's LA Times wonders if the new grocery mega-store Whole Foods in Pasadena is as "eco-friendly" as they claim. Sustainable? Hmmm...
- How 'bout them odds? A 57-year-old woman from Santa Clarita who got married on 7-7-07 just picked up a $1.2 million slot machine win on a return trip to Vegas this weekend to the hotel where she got married.