This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Updates, Closings & Fridays
X, a punk rock band from Los Angeles, playing at SXSW. For shows here in LA, check out tonight's listings | Photo by Andy Sternberg
- There's an update to the story about "Kristen," or Ashley Dupree, the girl who was New York Governor's mistress. Basically, she got a $1-million porn movie offer and she has now sold around 2-million songs online.
- Britney Spears' curiosity killed the cat. 13 UCLA Medical Center Employees were caught sneaking a peak at the pop stars medical records and they got fired. Six doctors are also facing disciplinary action for doing the same. Tsk, tsk.
- Do you like flowers? "Spring time in Southern California brings the wildflowers and, if it’s been a decently wet year, tons of poppies for your viewing pleasure," says Julia Frey at Metroblogging Los Angeles.
- Ed Fuentes at blogdowntown does up a photo essay of last night's Downtown Art Walk. If you've never experienced this wonderful event (as well as the Downtown Comedy Walk), then mark your calendars, it's always the second Thursday of the month.
- Score one for the SGV: 18 Arrested In L.A. Gang, Drug Crackdown
- Elias Ibrahim, a UCLA student set to graduate this year, was found dead at a campus pool early this morning. The Daily Bruin reports that a Facebook group has set up a remembrance ceremony tonight at 7 p.m.
- Eating L.A. reports that Silver Lake's Michelangelo Pizzeria is closing its doors on May 31. Eater LA follows up.
- Did you miss all the great interviews LAist had today? First, there was the amazing Robin Sukhadia and Tablacentric, who will be at The Machine Project through April 12th. Then we spoke to Dan Stock, Co-Founder of Zubaz (you know, the pants!). And over at SXSW, we caught up and learned about Moblogic.tv.
- Attention commuters of the 405/105 area: Caltrans will close both eastbound and westbound Glenn Anderson Freeway (I-105) connectors to the southbound San Diego Freeway (I-405) daily, Monday, March 17, through Friday, March 21 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. for roadway repair. The closures are weather permitting and subject to change.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.