Extra, Extra: The New Pollution
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
Fairfax Avenue is the Bomb!!!
- Declining enrollment and rising costs means less expansion and construction to help relieve overcrowding in LAUSD schools. The LA Times reports that "since the fall, the school system has canceled plans for 19 new schools and additions to existing campuses in South Gate, Bell, Van Nuys, San Fernando, Sun Valley and central Los Angeles, among other areas, citing new enrollment projections." Kids, you don't mind sharing that book, do you? Or that chair?
- However, the LA Board of Education voted Tuesday to restrict the building of schools near freeways, since, as the LA Times reports, "about 60,000 Los Angeles Unified School District students attend campuses within 500 feet of a freeway." And, for those non-science majors out there, hanging out near freeways and breathing exhaust turns out to be unhealthy. Who'd a thought?
- Garages are for parking in, not crashing in to....unless you're fleeing from cops in a stolen SUV with a LoJack signal. A joyrider in a purloined 2004 Chevy Tahoe struck a woman near Beck and Camellia Avenues in North Hollywood just after 8 this morning, then crashed into a garage.
- You like our film festival? We love you long time! Gerald and Patricia Green of Los Angeles entered a not guilty plea yesterday in court on charges of "bribing a senior Thai government official in charge of awarding lucrative contracts for the Bangkok International Film Festival" per The Hollywood Reporter. They allegedly passed on $900, 000 to the president of the film fest and on the Thai Tourism board in exchange for contracts valued at around $7 million.
- Who killed Kristina Davis? asks The Daily News. The troubled young woman was "found bound and gagged on the side of a San Fernando Valley canyon road with a bullet in her head" earlier this month. The 24-year-old woman seemed to be on the road to recovery, but may have been hanging with the proverbial wrong crowd. Davis leaves behind three children, of whom two she was recently rewarded custody.
- Is it hottttt in here or is it me? Local Firefighters went through a 7-week physical training course to shape up to be better eye candy in the new Southern California Firefighters 2008 Calendar. Proceeds will go to charity.
- How do you like your Bush? How about as played by Josh Brolin in Oliver Stone's upcoming biopic, aptly titled Bush? Hmmm...with the WGA on strike the timing could be perfect; it might just take a non-professional writer to recreate all of his clever and eminently quotable Bush-isms.