Extra, Extra: Water, Water, Everywhere
The fountain at the LA Central Library is rather strange and fantastical
- "I'll have a footlong Subway club on white, hold the mayo, and GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY!" Police are looking for the man who held up a Subway sandwich store at gunpoint Monday on Beverly in the Wilshire area.
- The owner and manager of a Burbank apartment building was found liable for their role in the murder of one of his tenants, who was kidnapped, raped, and killed in 2004. Although the case remains unsolved, "Los Angeles Superior Court jury returned a $12 million verdict against Scott Villa Apartments L.P. and Francis Property Management Inc. for hiring [convicted felon and registered sex offender] Eriberto Rodriguez, 46, who worked as a maintenance man at the complex."
- The LA Zoo has welcomed Alfred, the blind seal from New Jersey, into their watery fold. The once-underweight marine mammal was found in March of last year on the East coast, struggling to keep up with his seeing pals who could easily catch fish to feed on. The Zoo folks are hoping Alfred can figure out how to do what the birds and the bees do with the four female seals he's now swimming with in the Sea Life Cliffs habitat. Feel your way, boy!
- And in more troubled animal news, an American White Pelican with an arrow through its beak might be running out of time for a rescue. The bird's beak is essentially sewn shut by the arrow, but those who are trying to help get the bird out of Lake Balboa can't get close enough to make the save.
- It's never too early to plan for next year! The theme for the 2009 Tournament of Roses Parade has been announced: "Hats off to Entertainment!" is the phrase that will inspire much corniness in the form of opening song-and-dance routine and flower-bedecked floats.
- The OC Register takes a look at the life and struggles of 50-year-old Sally Brown, who committed suicide on January 10th by throwing herself off an overpass above the 91 Freeway in Anaheim.
- Porn & Jesus = Hot topic for UC Irvine Students. Last night a discussion featuring recovering sex and porn addict turned-Christian and author of the upcoming book Porn Nation drew a sizable crowd. Michael Leahy was invited by a campus Christian group, but the highlight for many was his telling of tales of his friendship with Ron Jeremy; the moment that led Leahy to find God was between him and Jeremy in a hot tub.