Extra, Extra: All Praise the Baby Cheeses
- A suspected drunk driver brough his Sunday to a crashing conclusion when he led officers on a chase from Santa Ana to Glendale late last night. The PIT maneuver was employed on the Colorado Street offramp of the 5 North to bring things to a halt. Kids, don't go spiking Santa's milk tonight with rum; we don't want the cops chasing any reindeer-led sleighs!
- The LA Times chimes in with their thoughts today on the anticipated nearly-40-year low number of homicides in LA, noting that the amount is one-third the 1992 figure, and that the gentrification of some neighborhoods is likely partially responsible. Does this mean Pinkberry saves lives?
- So what was the application process like? A convicted sex offender is arrested for a second time for pulling a scam by luring women to an El Segundo hotel under the pretense of interviewing them for jobs with AT&T. Oscar Corea, who does not work for AT&T, just got out of jail three weeks ago on a plea deal for doing the same thing. Hey, dude, time for a career change.
- Actress Jennifer Love Hewitt joined other volunteers in bringing food, toys, and holiday cheer to those at the LA Mission this afternoon. Finally a crowd that won't snicker and call her fat.
- Free rides on Metro tonight: No, you couldn't ride for free during the day today, but you can starting tonight at 9 p.m. until 2 a.m. The same will go for New Year's Eve.
- QE2 goes Web 2.0: Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, delivers her annual Christmas message via YouTube, demonstrating that she is down with the tech age. This puts her elbow to elbow with the guy screaming "Leave Britney alone!" and people gang-humping an ottoman.
- It's the absolute last shopping day before Christmas--unless you happen upon one of those random side-of-the-road stuffed animals and cello-wrapped baskets sellers on your way to Grandma's tomorrow. Last minute deals and general panic was the name of the game today. Some stores have even been open around the clock. What would Jesus do?
- From the candy cane-sweet sound of "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" to Yo La Tengo's "Rock n Roll Santa," friend of LAist (and cheese enthusiast) Lisa Brenner has compiled for your holiday listening her ultimate Christmas playlist at her LA.com music blog. "Merry Christmas, Fuck You." Oh, no, I don't mean it. It's a song. Really. Swearsies. Fa la la la la!
LAist Editor Zach Behrens contributed to this post
Photo by epape via Flickr