Telling It LIke It Is: Avenue Q
Avenue Q, the Broadway sensation now playing at the Ahmanson Theatre, simply put, is Sesame Street and The Muppets for adults. Actually, it's any go-lucky humpty-dory family/neighborhood TV sitcom with overly crude humor. It's a tight production with abrupt segues, hints of metatheatrical jabs and extremely catchy tunes.
Everything's very un-PC, but that's okay, cause a puppet said it, right? They're just telling it like it is, as they see it, no qualms about it. And the whole theater will laugh the all the way through. You will too.
Lessons Learned from Avenue Q (take these at your own risk):
- Internet Porn is the only stable market to invest your money in.
- Throwing a coin off a skyscraper doesn't necessarily kill someone.
- Cum, or Come, is part of the word Commitment, syllabicated at least. Think about that in your next relationship.
- Gary Coleman jokes will still be funny until Generation X is long gone.
- The cutest characters in the whole show go Scientologist. It's a sign.
- Avenue Q or Melrose Place? Avenue Q.
Photo by Carol Rosegg