This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
LAist's Most Popular Stories Of 2015
It's been a year full of interesting stories, from intense horror movie screenings to a McDonald's-themed Black Sabbath cover band and an offensive restaurant tipper. Here are the stories our readers clicked on the most over the past 12 months.
10. 10 Things That Make Your Uber Driver SadAn Uber driver revealed 10 things he really wishes passengers would stop doing.
9. This Horror Film Is So Gross That 2 People Fainted During A ScreeningThe Kafka-esque Bite film about a woman who gets bitten by a bug and then turns into one was apparently so gross that two people fainted and one person vomited at a screening.
8. 10 Unique Mom-And-Pop Restaurants In The Valley You Must TryThe San Fernando Valley has an undeserved reputation for being a food desert that forces hungry residents to make the long trek over the hills for any decent food. Truth is, there are a slew of unique mom-and-pops off the beaten path that are worth the trek, no matter which side of the hills you live on.
7. Man Leaves Racist Note For Waitress Instead Of Tip At Thai Restaurant
Instead of leaving a tip after dining at a Thai restaurant, a man left an offensive note for his waitress.
6. Video: The Artist Who Took A DIY Approach To A Confusing 110 Freeway SignArtist Richard Ankrom, who once missed the exit from the northbound 110 Freeway onto the northbound 5, returned 20 years later to fix the sign that failed him.
5. Even More L.A. Escape Rooms For You To SolveIf you're a fan of "Myst," or mobile games like "Forever Lost" or "The Room," you'll find these games up your alley. Essentially, you and your team will be "locked" in a room, which will typically have some kind of theme—a lab, a prison, a tomb, a serial killer's basement, a bunker, etc.—and you'll have to search for and solve clues and puzzles to get back out or complete a goal. (Don't worry: You'll never be truly locked in, as that's against fire code.)
4. 16 Excellent Bars For Outdoor Drinking In Los AngelesLos Angeles offers us so much beautiful weather year-round, it would be a shame to waste all that sunshine and those cool breezes by drinking indoors. That's why we've spent many important research hours to bring you the best bars for outdoor drinking across the city, so you can make the most of your plein air cocktail hours. From dizzying rooftop views to hidden backyard patios, here are our favorite spots for imbibing in the great outdoors.
3. Mysterious Naked Woman Rescued Three Miles Off ShoreA naked woman was rescued far out in the water from the Newport Beach coast and officials were flummoxed over how she got there.
2. Mac Sabbath: A Black Sabbath Cover Band That Performs As McDonald's CharactersDrive-thru metal is really a thing, or at least this L.A.-based band is trying to make it a thing. Mac Sabbath (yes, that's really their band name) is a foursome of rockers who dress up as McDonald's characters and perform covers of Black Sabbath songs. And they even change up the lyrics so they're burger-themed.
1. Guy Eats Out Woman On Stage During Dead Kennedys Concert (NSFW)Welp, this was the most read story of 2015. Congratulations, everyone. We did it.