This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
LAist-CS Week 11 Rankings: Survival Sickness
There was nothing pretty these games on Saturday. TCU trailed early against San Diego State, had their offensive line coach suffer a heart attack in the first quarter, came back for a big lead then almost lost. Oregon held on against Cal thanks to a missed field goal. Auburn trailed Georgia 21-7 in the second quarter before Cam Newton became Cam Newton again and willed his team to victory.
Al Davis’ mantra of, “Just win, baby,” never held more true than this week, and the top ranked teams did just that. Trust me, I was ready to drop TCU until I saw the slop Oregon presented us with.
I really don’t have anything really positive to say about any of the games today, so here are the rankings:
1. TCU Horned Frogs (11-0, 7-0 Mountain West) - They had to fend off a late run by a much improved San Diego State team at home, but not a whole lot of teams were very impressive today. (Last week: 1)
2. Oregon Ducks (10-0, 7-0 Pac-10) - What in the world is up with Cal when they play at home? Is it the Hayward Fault that runs underneath Memorial Stadium? They made Oregon look mortal. (Last week: 2)
3. Auburn Tigers (11-0, 7-0 SEC) - Cam Newton: impressive after the first quarter. The rest of the team: not so much. (Last week: 3)
4. Boise State Broncos (9-0, 5-0 WAC) - That’s a funky little gym that Idaho plays in, but Boise did what they were supposed to do. (Last week: 4)
5. Stanford Cardinal (9-1, 6-1 Pac-10) - That wasn’t very impressive in the desert, and they have a lot of worrying to do in the Big Game in Berkeley next week. (Last week: 5)
6. LSU Tigers (9-1, 5-1 SEC) - It’s hard to get excited about a 51-0 victory over Louisiana-Monroe. (Last week: 6)
7. Wisconsin Badgers (9-1, 5-1 Big Ten) - A complete beat down is one thing, but an 83-20 run-up against Indiana leaves a bad taste in your mouth, don’t it? Did the card tell them to do it? (Last week: 7)
8. Alabama Crimson Tide (8-2, 5-2 SEC) - That was a nice win against Mississippi State, but I find it sad that such a talented team will most likely not get a BCS bowl. Also I wonder if the Bulldogs have any dirt on the Tide. (Last week: 8)
9. Ohio State Buckeyes (9-1, 5-1 Big Ten) - That was quite a scare in the first half against Penn State. Then the world realigned back to normal and everything is as it should be. (Last week: 11)
10. Nebraska Corn Huskers (9-1, 5-1 Big 12) - It looks like the black-shirt defense showed up against Kansas. But losing against Kansas would be like Texas losing to UCLA. Oh wait. (Last week: 12)
11. Arkansas Razorbacks (8-2, 4-2 SEC) - The hogs keep on humming, but exactly what are they humming for? (Last week: 13)
12. Michigan State Spartans (9-1, 5-1 Big Ten) - They got a nice week of rest before hosting Purdue. Yeah. (Last week: 14)
13. Nevada Wolfpack (9-1, 4-1 WAC) - That was a close one at Fresno State, but you try playing in Fresno and see what happens. (Last week: 15)
14. Oklahoma State Cowboys (9-1, 5-1 Big 12) - I know this has nothing to do with the Cowboys, but Texas needs to win their next two games against Florida Atlantic and Texas A&M in order to be bowl eligible. Texas has yet to win a Big 12 game at home this season. (Last week: nr)
15. South Carolina Gamecocks (7-3, 5-3 SEC) - They have the best chance of the SEC East teams to get to the SEC championship game against Auburn with a Sugar Bowl berth on the line. (Last week: nr)
16. Oklahoma Sooners (8-2, 4-2 Big 12) - They’re the little Sooner wagon that could. (Last week: nr)
BCS Championship Game: TCU Horned Frogs vs. Oregon Ducks
Rose Bowl: Wisconsin Badgers vs. Boise State Broncos
Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Pittsburgh Panthers
Sugar Bowl: Auburn Tigers vs. Stanford Cardinal
Fiesta Bowl: Nebraska Corn Huskers vs. LSU Tigers