This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Arty Bazaars & Holiday Pop-Ups: A Guide To Temporary Shops
Photo by Cláudia*~Assad via Flickr
Bite-sized shopping options and arty bazaars abound for indie Angelenos opting out of the mall riptide this holiday season. Pop-up stores and holiday boutiques, though mysterious in form and nebulous in detail, offer creative creatures a chance to buy original goods for the ones they
feel obliged to placate love. Be sure to confirm hours and specific details since the rules of time and space do not always apply to stores with the power to "pop-up."
- Cella Gallery presents: ZEROFRIENDS: San Francisco-based painter/writer Alex Pardee offer prints, tees, toys, and original works from his art collective. Think: shark-headed-dinosaur-legged-pegasus-winged creature mashups. Open daily 12:00-7:00 p.m. through January 31, 2011.
- The Buster Store: Uniquely decorated, the space showcases a design-minded mix of rustic-American for the home, plus new and vintage workwear classics. Think: Buck knives and great bags by Filson.
- Unique LA: Etsy Live! 300+ local designers and artists selling clothing, art, accessories, decor, toys, eco-goods, and more more more more more more. December 11-12, $10.
- Tweak 99: Everything comes pre-wrapped at this smart home design and gift boutique.
- A Current Affair: Get lost (in time) at this sprawling vintage clothing and art expo. December 10-11, $10
- Zero Minus Plus @ Fred Segal: Fair trade, eco-friendly products and jewelry rotate through this “installation" space.
- Artisanal LA: Artisanal foods, sweets and drinks. Come hungry. Never leave. December 11-12, $6
- R & G Collective: Art designer + set decorator = interior design wonderland. Shop the spectrum from simple design pieces to fantastical furniture. Open through the end of November.
- Sleek Identity: Retail companion to Stefanie Gelinas' unique on-line store is open through December 5th.
- OK: Silverlake's one year pop-up shop has a reputation for well-curated collections of fun and beautiful objects. Special gifts a-plenty for men, women, kids, assorted family.
- TRON: Legacy Pop-Up @ Royal/T: Shhhh. We've already said too much!!! Open though December 23, 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., extended hours until 10 p.m. on Wednesdays.
- Alexandra St. Clair: A father/daughter pop-up venture offering "statement" jewelry made of precious metals and exotic stones. Also, make-your-own beading bar.
- Bauer Pottery Factory Sale: Annual warehouse sale means gorgeous California pottery samples, factory seconds, and current stock at up to 60% off. December 11 - 12, 9:00 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Lyndsey Saul contributed to this story.