'Fantastic Four' Flops, Director Blames The Studio
The latest superhero movie of the summer tanked big-time at the box office, and the director says that it's not his fault."A year ago I had a fantastic version of this," Fantastic Four director Josh Trank wrote in a tweet that was quickly deleted. "And it would've received great reviews."
"You'll probably never see it. That's reality though."
Fantastic Four opened on Friday to poor reviews (it currently has a 9% at Rotten Tomatoes) and took in only $26.2 million at this weekend's box office, according to USA Today. It fell short of de-throning Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation, which remained at the top in its second weekend.
According to The Daily Beast, Trank's original version of the film featured not enough action to satisfy the studio, 20th Century Fox, leading to many reshoots. Several critics have called the final product an obvious casualty of such meddling.
Trank previously shot
the dystopian YA-adaptation Chronicle, his feature film debut, for the studio and was set to be helming one of the upcoming Star Wars spin-off films before he suddenly left that project. He was a no-show for a scheduled appearance at the Star Wars Celebration convention in May two weeks later issued a joint statement with Lucasfilm announcing his departure from the franchise. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Trank was fired due to reported difficulties from the set of Fantastic Four, though he told the L.A. Times he was done working on big franchises at the moment and wanted to do something "below the radar."
Trank's Fantastic Four is the third live-action film to be made of the comic book superheroes, being a reboot of the previous series that was first made in 2005. Although the 2005 Fantastic Four and its Silver Surfer sequel were modest successes at the box office, they were not well received by critics or fans. The latest film only makes people further wonder whether or not it's just simply impossible to adapt the otherwise beloved characters for the big screen.