This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: LA Triathlon Traps Downtown Residents
- Steve Lopez randomly challenges Dodgers Pitcher Derek Lowe to a golfing home run derby at the stadium for charity. Steve loses and donates $500 to the Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA.
- A journal of sorts following Kristina Ripatti, the LAPD Officer who was shot and paralyzed while on duty in June of 2006.
- There are only two places in the states where you can be a police officer whose job is to board cruise ships before they hit mainland. One of those is with the Los Angeles Port Police (a separate agency form the LAPD).
- Protecting bad drivers from you: smart cameras at intersections.
- It was World Rabies Day in Los Angeles yesterday?
- Up north in Alameda County, a judge lets a carpenter continue working in the nude.
- The quakes keep heading south. Last night, a 4.0 off the coast of San Diego.
- The LA Triathlon once again traps Downtown residents in their homes, forcing mass sleeping in or leisurely and long brunches.
Photo by Christine Kelly via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.