This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: The Best Pizza and Bass in Town
"Sister Cities" | Photo by Stephanie Asher via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- An update on yesterday's Harbor-Gateway shooting of a 6-year-old in a car. LAPD Chief Bratton announced: "We are very confident that we have the people who were involved in the actual shooting in custody."
- For the Lakers fans out there, LA City Councilman Bernard Parks declared today as "Derek Fisher Day."
- 1,817. That's the number of teacher layoffs so far in Orange County. Expect more to come.
- The Arts District downtown will now be larger as a motion brought forward to the LA City Council was passed today. It will encourage more development, but will artists be able to afford it?
- Mozza, at Highland and Melrose, is named one of the best pizzerias in the country by Forbes. Can they start closing the kitchen at 1 a.m. now instead of midnight? (h/t Gridskipper LA)
- State Assemblywoman Karen Bass, who represents a major chunk of Los Angeles, will be taking the helm as the Speaker, known as the second most powerful position in the state next to the Governor. Here are eight facts about her, including her martial arts skills.
- Sad non-profit news in Pasadena, but great lede: "The irony isn't lost on Habitat for Humanity staff: The agency known for building affordable housing is looking for some affordable housing of its own."
- Here's something that's do-gooding and looks fun: On Sunday, $25 gets you a champagne brunch, tote bag full of goodies, a raffle ticket at a shopping event to support Childrens Hospital LA. Brands that will be there include Jami Lyn (where the event is hosted in Bev Hills), billy blues and Splendid. For more info: 818-222-7507 or SBR123@aol.com.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.