Extra, Extra: Your Space or Mine?
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- A different kind of web-server: Los Angeles based social networking site MySpace is getting served with subpoenas in the case of the teenager who committed suicide following a friend fake-out that was allegedly helmed by a classmate's parent.
- All I wanna do is BANG BANG BANG BANG! and take your...Fritos? Two Lancaster gang members have been convicted for killing a kid over his junk food. Laquane Keith and Reno Williams shot and killed 18-year-old LeMarcus Spencer in the back after he ignored their demands for his Milk Duds and bag of Chili Cheese Fritos in Antelope Valley in the summer of 2005.
- Totally thrashing tubes, duuuuuudes! The NY Times is reporting that our recent triple onslaught of monster-sized rainstorms worked out swell for the swells, leaving local surfers stoked to hang ten and ride those gnarly waves. (We will now cease using surf lingo.) (You're welcome.)
- Earlier this week, the LA Downtown News gave us a look at the five major residential projects slated to open up this year in DTLA. Is 2008 the year Downtown becomes the city's dream destination for residents?
- Speaking of neighborhoods, today's Daily News checks out the ways in which the recent transit-hub redevelopment of NoHo serves as a reflection of the area's own history. We couldn't agree with you more, Daily News, which is why we pointed out the parallels a few months ago in our NoHo Arts District Neighborhood Project. I'm just sayin'...ahem.
- RIP Bob Popescu. The 77-year-old founder of the jazz club named after his wife, The Catalina Bar & Grill, has died. Popescu turned a former Italian restaurant into his jazz supper club, and solidified its coolness by getting legend Dizzy Gillespie to play there on opening night in 1986.
- Pardon us while we get a little meta on your ass. LAist's TV Junkie weighs in on ABC.com about the return of American Gladiators. And we know your ass loves those American Gladiators. Way to represent, Tomdog!