Coachella 2011: We're All Stuck Out In The Desert & We're Gonna Die... With Jeff Goldblum
Serendipity is the mother of exaggeration, nevertheless it really did happen that Jeff Goldblum played a jazz set on day two of Coachella. Manifesting a band and a baby grand piano in one of the campgrounds, big G played a barely announced and certainly unofficial 'Funny or Die' mockumentary gig for those heading into the venue.
Saturday rockers met Alison Mosshart's hair n' glare during The Kills early evening set at the Outdoor Theatre, Zack de la Rocha's One Day as a Lion slowly riled the Mojave tent into an uproar during his first Coachella performance since 2007, and things got downright blinding at Bright Eyes when Conor Oberst delivered the ultimate personals ad, "Lover I Don't Have to Love." No sad girls could be found. There were, however, plenty of guys too drunk to talk.
Saturday also brought varying reports of a Ferris Wheel jumper, a hard-to-miss blinky plane advertising Prince's "21 Nite Stand" in Los Angeles, and a Chris Milk installation, or rather, application, of giant LED balloons poured onto the crowd during Arcade Fire's jubilant headlining performance.
Mick Jones won best non sequitur of the day for confessing a new love of desert jackrabbits during the enthusiastically attended Big Audio Dynamite set, Animal Collective continued to elicit the response, "I don't get it," and Jenny (Lewis) and Johnny (Rice) expressed what anyone who's spent a 98-degree day in Indio thinks, "We're all stuck out in the desert and we're gonna die."
- Coachella 2011: OFWGKTA=OMGWTFBBQ, Cee-Lo Stops Believin', Lauryn Hill Sails, Kings Of Leon Go Unshirtless, Chemical Brothers Serenade The All-Night Roller Rink
- Coachella 2011: Top 10 Bands Not To Miss (Day 3)
- Coachella 2011: Top 10 Bands Not To Miss (Day 2)
- Coachella 2011: Top 10 Bands Not To Miss (Day 1)
- Coachella 2011 Set Times Announced: Got Conflicts?
- Eat Your Heart Out, Coachella: A Food Guide For The Desert
- Coachella 2011 Lineup Announced!
- Video: Tiny Ant People Set Up A City At Coachella